httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Starnge CGI problem with Apache2
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:20:10 GMT
Plain text please...

The fundamental difference between 1 and 2 is that apache1 follows the
traditional unix process model where parent processes forks child
processes to handle tasks while apache2 is multi-threaded. In the case
of CGI execution, apache1 forks a child process to execute the CGI while
apache2 creates a new thread. I'm not an expert on thread programming
but I know that a key requirement is that the program has to be
thread-safe; different threads must not overwrite global variables.

I don't know anything about the VFPCGI library but you might enquire
whether it is thread-safe or not?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

-----Original Message-----
From: Deyan Stoykov [mailto:dstoykov@ecs.ru.acad.bg]
Sent: Montag, 10. November 2003 18:24
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Starnge CGI problem with Apache2

     Hi everyone!

     I'm running Apache httpd under Windows 2000 Server SP4. We also
have a
CGI application written in Visual FoxPro 5 that uses the VFPCGI library
(http://vfpcgi.narod.ru/). It works fine under 1.3.27, but when I
upgraded to 2.0.47 the script started returning strange errors at
random. I can't get much help on this issue from the developer because
officially he doesn't test or support the app under anything other than
IIS (which I'd like to avoid putting on our servers). I had a look at
the CGI process when called by each of the 2 Apache versions with
Process explorer from www.sysinternals.com, but there were no
differences - they were running under the same credentials  (NT
Authority/System) and had the same environment variables.
     The  server has the following modules loaded: mod_access,
mod_alias, mod_autoindex, mod_cgi, mod_dir, mod_log_config, mod_mime,
mod_negotiation, mod_setenvif.
     Of course, at least in theory, a pure cgi application should behave
identically when called by different web servers. So my question is: are
there any differences in the way apache and apache2 call cgi scripts
that might be relevant in my case and what should I do to solve this
issue.
     In the bottom of the message I've put exrepts from the 2 conf
files, that contain the stuff that I think is relevant.
    Thank you in advance.
    Deyan

-------------
Apache 1.3.27
-------------

ServerType standalone
ServerRoot "D:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache"
ScoreBoardFile logs/apache_runtime_status
PidFile logs/httpd.pid
Timeout 300
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15

MaxRequestsPerChild 0
ThreadsPerChild 50

<Directory "D:\....">
    Options +ExecCGI
    AddHandler cgi-script exe
</Directory>

-------------
Apache 2.0.47
-------------

ServerRoot "D:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2"
ScoreBoardFile logs/apache_runtime_status
PidFile logs/httpd.pid
Timeout 300
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100