httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] About SSL , Help!
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:36:50 GMT

What do you want SSL for? Wanting SSL implies that you have a website
where you want to encrypt the data stream between the client and the
server. Usually, you do this to protect your clients when they submit
data to your website (e.g. when they send you a credit card number). Is
this what you have in mind?

If so, there is tons more to e-commerce than SSL. You need a
merchant-account, access to a payserve gateway and software to talk to
it. You also should have auditable code, server-side, which prevents
customer data being read "en clair" (if you don't, you render yourself
liable if the data are misused). The point I'm making is that an
SSL-aware webserver is a very powerful and dangerous beast and you
shouldn't mess around with it unless you know what you're doing.

If you just want to play around then download and install apache2
(easier to include SSL). You also need the openssl library, by the way
(www.openssl.org). You will have to read the documentation for
details...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle