httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Don" <dnrli...@san.rr.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] apache "forbidden" error accessing my mrtg files
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:01:46 GMT
That's correct... and in that case, it's exactly what I want.

Seems all the mrtg doc in html format got installed at /var/www/mrtg
Apache serves my files from /var/www/html

in /var/www/html I put some symbolic links

mrtgdoc --> ../mrtg
mrtg --> /home/mrtg/html
mrtgstats --> /home/mrtg/html

Note the mrtg link and the mrtgstats link point to the same place

http://localhost/mrtg fails with a "forbidden" response
http://localhost/mrtgdoc displays the mrtg documentation (from /var/www/mrtg
since that's where the symlink points)
http://localhost/mrtgstats displays the mrtg status pages (from
/home/mrtg/html, because that's where the link points)

This tells me that the mrtg link is not being followed properly... somehow
Apache thought I was trying to get to /var/www/mrtg directly and it replied
"forbidden".

Question is, why? It's as if it found "mrtg" in the /var/www tree and tried
to access it instead of continuing on to /var/www/html/mrtg...

Don