httpd-users mailing list archives

From John Moore <JohnMo...@PDSI-Software.COM>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Load Balancing and SSL
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:48:14 GMT

Charles,

Assuming you want the user to stay with www.vhost1.com through their entire
visit, you'll just setup a virtual host on both www1 and www2 for ServerName
www.vhost1.com.  I have a similar setup, different LB hardware, where
multiple apache servers host the same virtual sites.   You don't want
www1/www2 certificates or the browser will bark about the site names not
matching.

Now, if your question is an ethical/legal one about purchasing that one
certificate to use on multiple servers check with your cert provider.

John Moore

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Heizer [mailto:heizer1@llnl.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 3:15 PM
To: 'users@httpd.apache.org'
Subject: [users@httpd] Load Balancing and SSL

Hello,
I'm looking for a little clarification.

I want some more info on how to setup SSL on multiple Virtual Hosts on
two systems.

I have two Apache 2.0.48 systems setup and running, I also have a Big5
load balancer in the equation. This all works fine without ssl (since I
have not tried the ssl yet).

I have a round robin with the load balancer that passes traffic off to
www1.vhost1.com or www2.vhost1.com from www.vhost1.com.

Now here is my question, if I want to enable SSL on www.vhost1.com do I
need to get a cert for www1.vhost1.com and www2.vhost1.com?

I hope this make sense.

Thanks,

- Charles