httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Carsten P. Gehrke" <Cars...@rollinghorse.com>
Subject RE: RE: [users@httpd] httpd security
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2003 23:20:06 GMT
At 14:07 23-11-03, m_hagen@bellsouth.net wrote:

>Ok,
>Well I am not getting a 404 error. The browser just has a pop-up window
>saying the server is not responding. This is with :8080 at the end of the
>host name.
>
>I try to telnet to it with port 8080, and it gives the error:
>
>.Could not open a connection to host on port 8080
>Connect failed
>
>If I telnet to the host with no port specification, I get no error and it
>connects fine, but I still have no luck in my browser.
>
>Matthew

If you use telnet without a specific port, it will use port 23
(telnet).  You could connect to a Web server on the standard port by using
port 80, or to your MTA by using port 25 (SMTP).

I don't remember the first part of this thread, but if you are behind a
firewall at work (which seems to be the case), and the sysadmin follows
SOPs, then all ports are blocked unless he specifically allows them.  In
that case it makes no difference if you set Apache for port 80 or port
8080.  Of course, having telnet and FTP ports open while blocking http
would be unusual...

The bottom line is that you need to find out if the firewall is blocking
traffic on port 80 incoming.  Can you connect to another Web server on a
different campus computer (and not the official site, which might be behind
a different firewall or in the DMZ)?

Carsten

--
Carsten Gehrke     LFS No.: 190    using Linux since kernel 0.98
carsten@gehrke.org                 http://tech.rollinghorse.com/