httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aaron Paxson <apax...@ncegifts.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Changing Log directory
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:07:52 GMT
Thanks for the replies!!

Yes, I did recompile Apache after making my change.  I modified <Layout
Apache> and recompiled with this command:

./configure --enable-layout=Apache

I think this is the layout that configure uses by default, but just to make
sure, I declared it.  By the way, this is for httpd-2.0.48.

Here's the layout:

#   Classical Apache path layout.
<Layout Apache>
    prefix:        /usr/local/apache
    exec_prefix:   ${prefix}
    bindir:        ${exec_prefix}/bin
    sbindir:       ${exec_prefix}/bin
    libdir:        ${exec_prefix}/lib
    libexecdir:    ${exec_prefix}/modules
    mandir:        ${prefix}/man
    sysconfdir:    ${prefix}/conf
    datadir:       ${prefix}
    installbuilddir: ${datadir}/build
    errordir:      ${datadir}/error
    iconsdir:      ${datadir}/icons
    htdocsdir:     ${datadir}/htdocs
    manualdir:     ${datadir}/manual
    cgidir:        ${datadir}/cgi-bin
    includedir:    ${prefix}/include
    localstatedir: ${prefix}
--->    runtimedir:    /var/log/apache/logs
--->    logfiledir:    /var/log/apache
    proxycachedir: ${localstatedir}/proxy
</Layout>

Looking at my httpd.conf file I see these config directives:

ErrorLog $/var/log/apache/error_log
CustomLog $/var/log/apache/access_log common

Taking the '$' seems to work.  I can now start my apache web server using
the new log directory without errors.

Now, this poses another question:

Why does the prefix still get put into the httpd.conf, when I explicitly
declared it in my config.layout?  This maybe one of those questions, that
never get answered.

In the mean time, IT WORKS!  Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Aaron