httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache/tomcat configuration question
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:31:16 GMT
"Suman, Kaushik" wrote:

> how do you go about creating an alias that points https://download.myserv.com to https://lifeline.myserv.com:8443/download?
>
> This server is running Red Hat with Apache and Tomcat.  If you can help, let me know
you if you need more info.2  I think this requires creating virtual hosts.  I'm not sure how
to do this on Apache.

You might be able to do this as follows:

NameVirtualHost *:443
<VirtualHost *:443>
    ServerName download.myserv.com
    Redirect / https://lifeline.myserv.com:8443/download
</VirtualHost>

But, the specifics will depend on your current configuration.
Specifically, on an SSL enabled server you are probably already using
virtual hosts so you don't want to copy this exactly.  Basically, you
want to define a VirutalHost for the "download.myserv.com" URL, into
which you put a Redirect parameter.

There are several things to be aware of:

- YOu cannot have more than one SSL (https) virtual host per IP
address.  So if this machine is serving only https://download.myserv.com
then you're fine, but you cannot also have
https://something-else.myserv.com on that same IP address.

- This method of redirection will cause the user's browser to change the
URL in the title bar and it will make a new request for the redirected
URL, "https://lifeline..."  If you don't want this or this URL is not
publicly accessable then you'll need to either do some mod_rewrite
trickery (if it's all on the same httpd) or use reverse proxying to have
the httpd server get the resource and send it along to the user.  Not
sure how proxying works with https though.

- If you currently aren't using any virtual hosts then you'll have to
create a defualt one to correspond to all the settings in the main part
of httpd.conf outside of any VirtualHost container.

Take this advise with a grain of salt, I'm no expert, and I'd always
double check everything and get a second opinion when dealing with
SSL/https for security.

Brian