httpd-users mailing list archives

From Matt M <listm...@c2.3utilities.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Parallel installation on Redhat?
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:12:30 GMT

Jan Houtsma wrote:

>>Not sure what you mean. If you mean will your mod_php work
>>with your new apache install, I think the answer is no. You
>>need to complile php against the new apache install.
>>

>Yes, i think that is what i mean... ;) I mean will squirrelmail ,
>phpMyAdmin,
>phpbb2 etc. etc. work normally if i just compile and install a new apache.
>
>I think your answer is no. And i have to recompile php as well which then
>hopefully doesn't break other things in turn?
>
>Isn't mod_php part of apache then so that it is compiled against the php
>installed on my system. I guess the answer is no as well ;)

No, mod_php is not part of Apache. It is a seperate project. You will
need to recompile PHP against your new Apache install. This may or may
not interfere with your existing PHP install. You can set the isntall
prefix when installing php just like with Apache to avoid this, or just
remove the old PHP altogether. Compiling PHP is no picnic though. Here's
a tip - make sure the *-devel RPM's are installed for all the features
you add to PHP.
For instance, you are most likely going to need IMAP support in php.
This means you need the imap-devel RPM installed.

You might want to just look at getting the latest updates for RedHat9.
I'm sure that they have updated their Apache & PHP packages since RH9
came out.

Good Luck,

-- Matt