httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Matt M." <listm...@c2.3utilities.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Parallel installation on Redhat?
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 08:42:09 GMT
Jan Houtsma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to try the newest version of Apache to see if it fixes my
> "hanging processes without active connections" problem. I have the
> default 18 month old 2.0.40 rpm (called httpd on RH9).
>
> My question: If i get the tar ball and compile it, can i do a
> 'make install' without any risk that it will overwrite the redhat
> files, like /usr/sbin/httpd, the init.d/rc files, the conf files etc...?
> For example install everything in /opt or something?

Yes. By default everything is installed under /usr/local/apache2
You can override this with the --prefix=PREFIX and
--exec-prefix=EPREFIX options to configure.

Check out the installation docs at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/install.html#install

> In other words, can i install completely in parallel and just start
> the other one instead of the redhat version?

Yes.

> Does the latest version work just like that with the redhat installed
> base, like php 4.2.2., glibc 2.3.2. etc...?

Not sure what you mean. If you mean will your mod_php work with your new
apache install, I think the answer is no. You need to complile php
against the new apache install.

-- Matt M.