httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] starting httpd as a non-root user
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 19:56:26 GMT
Adam Griffiths wrote:

> I have been running apache httpd for over three years on a server provided
> to me by an ISP. The server automatically starts httpd from it's /etc/rc.
>
> I have a login, but not root access, I can kill the httpd process (killall
> httpd) and I would like to be able to start it again, without rebooting my
> server and having /etc/rc do the job. The reason for this is that I need to
> do some debugging and I would like to be able to stop and start httpd at
> will from my non-root login account. However try as I might I can't start
> http at  non-root.

Unless Apache is listening exclusively on ports >1024, you will require
root privileges to start.  That's just a fact of the design of Unix; the
superuser is the only one that can bind to the lower ports.  Apache
starts as root because of this and then switches to a non-privileged
account.

You might want to try to get your ISP's sysadmin to install sudo, which
allows normal users to run certain commands as root, with very fine
controls over what's allowed.

Brian