httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michel Jouvin <jou...@lal.in2p3.fr>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 2.0.48 : Multiviews not honoured
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2003 11:01:24 GMT
Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your help. I solved the problem with Apache doc renaming
index.html to index.var and adding index.var as the first element in
DirectoryIndex. Declaring html as a type-map seems to break use of .html
files for plain html pages.

Using the same idea, I was able to workaround the other problem. I added an
index.var in this other site also. But the problem remains if index.var is
not there or if it is not listed before index.html in DirectoryIndex.

How to find more information on the error returned to the client ? (this is
not an html error displayed by the browser (IE6 in this case) but something
'unexpected' by the browser with no error on the server side).

Thanks again for your help.

Michel

--On vendredi 31 octobre 2003 12:09 -0500 Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca>
wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Michel Jouvin wrote:
>> I just upgraded from 2.0.46 to 2.0.48. The server has been built with the
>> same configure options and the configuration file has been copied from
>> 2.0.46 (just DocumentRoot has been changed, as we do for every upgrade).
>>
>> Unfortunatly, after this update, Multiviews is no longer honoured for
>> pages available in several languages. 2 diffent symptoms are :
>>
>> - We have several pages exiting in different languages that have a
>> language suffix (like .fr, .en...). In this case, whatever the browser
>> is, an error occurs when getting the page. With Netscape the browser
>> doesn't return, just waiting. With IE6, I get an error "the site cannot
>> be opened" (not a page with an error text, an error popup). This occurs
>> for example with index.html. If no index.html exists (just the language
>> variants) the problem occurs. If I rename one of the variant as
>> index.html, it works.
>
> What exactly is apache sending back to the clients?  It sounds like a
> redirect to a non-existant page.  Can you tell us exactly what HTTP
> reponse headers apache is sending?
>
>> - When an index.html exists with URI: tags (like in apache doc), the
>> content of this file is displayed instead of being interpreted.
>
> That will only work if .html is designated as a type-map using AddHandler.
> And it works perfectly well here:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/
> which is running 2.0.48.
>
> Joshua.

     * Michel Jouvin                 Email : jouvin@lal.in2p3.fr *
     * LAL / CNRS                    Tel : +33 1 64468932        *
     * B.P. 34                       Fax : +33 1 69079404        *
     * 91898 Orsay Cedex                                         *
     * France                                                    *