httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Connection Refused - without missing info.
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 07:07:08 GMT
Bruce Feist wrote:
> The problem is most likely not the computer, which is has a CPU
> more than 98% idle and underutilized disks, but rather the IDSL
> connection coupled with the large JPGs that constitute the bulk
> of the site.  sar reports that for extended periods of time my
> network output over the IDSL connection is pretty much maxed out
> -- it often hits 18 kBps and stays there, which seems remarkably
> consistent with my 144 kbps IDSL connection.

It may be the OS that isn't properly configured to handle as many
simultanious connections as your box may have, even though your hardware
might be able to handle more load. It could also be a router, or similar
network device, that starts filtering out packets when it sees that the line
is too stressed out, I don't know...

When having such load, you could really use some more bandwidth. It is quite
the same situation as with memory and swapping, when you max it out. When it
is just at or below you capacity, you're fine, but as soon as you constantly
deliver more than you have bandwidth for, the number of simultanious
connections increases and more people hit reload, until your box is a mess.

Regards,
Robert Andersson