httpd-users mailing list archives

From <aaro...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Error 500 "[error] [client 127.0.0.1] couldn't spawn child process"
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:50:22 GMT
Hi all,

 I have been using Apache on my Win98 machine to test
out CGI perl scripts and it's been working fine. But
just a few days ago it stopped working. It gives me
Error 500, with the following

"[error] [client 127.0.0.1] couldn't spawn child
process"

in the error log.

I've looked this error up in google, I know it means
that Apache could have encountered any number of
problems to stop it from loading the script.

I tried changing the shebang path, although it was
working just fine before.

I tried completely uninstalling Perl 5, as well as
Apache, restarting the computer, reinstalling Perl 5,
and Apache in that order, nothing changed. It will not
execute the Perl scripts. I'm confounded. I had a
terrible time trying to use PWS to test CGI scripts.
It, like Apache, worked just fine, for a couple days,
then it started trying to download scripts instead of
execute them, with apprently no way to hope to fix it
without reinstalling windows.

Does Apache just not get along with Win98? I don't
mind running it in a console window. I just want to be
able to test my CGI scripts! Could there have been
(and there must have been) some configuration of some
type that would have changed and now prevents Apache
from running scripts?  I searched everywhere and found
nothing!, ... google, apache.org, FAQ.. nothing.

     Aaron S.