httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbe::localhost and 127.0.0.1
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:07:50 GMT
[Don't start a new subject by replying another]

innocent wrote:
> I have just installed apache Http Server ver 1.3.28 on a win 98SE. My
> problem is that when start the server and then my browser and type
> http://localhost I am getting this error msge::
>
> Connection Failed
> The system returned:
> (111) Connection refused
>
> but when I use 127.0.0.1 everythings works fine

I've seen this "problem" around, and actually "suffer" it currently on one
machine, but I haven't cared enough to look into it.

Either it is because "localhost" doesn't resolve to 127.0.0.1, but unless
you messed with I cannot see why it wouldn't, or it could be related to what
interface(s) you have told Apache to listen to.

I saw Barbara Post's reply, and if I remember correctly, this file might be
named "HOSTS.SAM" which you need to rename to simply "HOSTS".

Regards,
Robert Andersson