httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Scott <msc...@pyewacket.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How To Start httpd @ Startup?
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:36:47 GMT
Quoting Joe Wilk <cagey_cretin@netzero.com>:

> RedHat 9.0
> Apache httpd-2.0.48 (only version installed on machine)
> installed in /usr/local/apache
>
> Server serves pages fine. Can manually start and stop with  apachectl
> start/stop, but cannot start apache @ bootup. I am trying the lines:
>
> ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99httpd
> ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/K99httpd
>
> This line worked fine on a 1.x version. My 'Apache Server 2 Bible' says
> that is the correct code.
>
> I have also tried using redhat-config-services, but httpd is not
> listed.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Joe Wilk

I assume your box is booting to a command shell (runlevel 3) and not a GUI
(runlevel 5).  If it's booting 'X' then the S... link should be in rc5.d.

In either case, lose the K99httpd link.  You're starting and killing the deamon
which is why it isn't running.

You want the S99httpd link in the runlevel that you're use (3 or 5), the K...
should be in runlevel 0 and 6 to kill the deamon when you shut down or reboot
the box.