httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dan Trainor <d...@cavecreek.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Ignoring certain IPs from logs
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:39:17 GMT
Alright, so I've got two options here.  Thanks, both of you.  I've never
used SetEnvIf before, I'll have to play with it.

Thanks
-dant

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 07:04, Kyle Dent wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Dan Trainor wrote:
>
> > 'Morning, all.
> >
> > Anyone know of a way, if possible, to set Apache up to NOT LOG certain
> > IPs?  I've looked at LogFormat, and it doesn't look like that's the
> > key.  I'm playing around with some different webstat log parsers, and I
> > would like to ignore internal IPs so I can account for bandwidth
> > properly?
>
> Generally you pre-process your log before passing it to your
> analyzer. grep -v, for example, will ignore lines in a file.
>
> It wouldn't be a good idea to filter logging within Apache
> because complicated enough filtering could affect performance,
> and more importantly you might later want the data that you're
> filtering out. Log everything, then use tools to pull out the
> information you want to look at.
>
> Kyle

Dan T.
Cavecreek Systems Administration Team
http://www.cavecreek.net

24 hour technical support
support@cavecreek.net
480.449.7750

We welcome feedback on your customer service experience.
Please send a message to qc@cavecreek.net