httpd-users mailing list archives

From hunter <theanti...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Program too big to fit in memory - apache_1.3.29-win32-x86-no_src.exe
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:06:05 GMT
On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 04:19, Daniel Clarke - JASWW wrote:
> Dear All
> Hello, this is my first post so go easy on me.
> I was just wondering if anyone has had a problem installing
> apache_1.3.29-win32-x86-no_src.exe ?
> I try to run it on both XP and 2000 and I get the "Program too big to
> fit in memory" error.
> Has anyone else seen that?  Is it a problem with the installer or with
> my machine, or what?
> Any ideas?
> Many thanks in advance,
> Daniel Clarke
>
> Daniel Clarke
> JAS Worldwide Financial Services Ltd
> London Heathrow, UK
> Tel +44 1784 240049
> Mobile +44 7740 337488
> Fax +44 1784 266928
> www.jasww.com

> This email has been scanned for all viruses by MDaemon PRO v6.8.4 R
> on Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:19:29 -0000 and found to contain no infected
> attachments. The virus list was updated on Thu 2003-11-06 09:00:54

Daniel,

Did you check the MD5 after you downloaded ... perhaps it is corrupted.

As an alternative you can get a set of binaries in zip format from my
servers amd as a bonus you get mod_ssl as well.

http://hunter.campbus.com or http://tor.ath.cx/~hunter/apache

Apache can install itself as a service.

I build the code into c:\apache. If you unzip to here it will minimize
your configuration.

1. create a directory (c:\apache) or if you are upgrading, save your
httpd.conf or it could be overwritten.

2. unzip the binaries into this directory - make certain you created the
sub-dirs.

3. go to the conf directory and edit httpd.conf or replace the
httpd.conf with the one you saved.

4. go to the 'apache' directory in a console.

Type the following commands:

- if you are already installed, type 'apache -k uninstall'
- then type 'apache -k install'
- then type 'apache -k start'

Check the error logs if it fails to start, but some configuration errors
will be displayed in your console. Apache also logs to the event log.

If you detect flaws in the build please email me so that I can fix them
as soon as possible. I don't use these binaries so I need you to tell me
if there is something wrong with them. I build a branded version in my
workplace and use Apache2 on Debian/GNU Linux at home.

Configuration questions should be directed to the list after reading the
documentation and searching the list archives - let everyone benefit
from the answers you get.

Chris Lewis