httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache2, CGI.pm, IE and smart quotes
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 07:17:45 GMT
Carl Brewer wrote:
> The symptom I'm seeing with a POST request is that the first
> parameter defined in the form seems to go missing if there's a
> smartquote backtick (I don't know how else to describe this
> entity!) in one of the text fields.

This is an Internet Explorer bug, which I have myself had much trouble with;
very subtile indeed.

It is not possible to workaround from Apache point-of-view, as IE for very
mysterious reasons screws up the encoding. I cannot really believe that it
worked when sending to Apache 1.3, if it wasn't so that 1.3 was somehow able
to salvage the damaged data.

My workaround is to insert a dummy (hidden) field first in the form, which
will take the hit. This is a c&p from one of my applications:

<form method='post' action='?' enctype='multipart/form-data'>
<input type='hidden' name='dummy-ie-workaround' value='ie_is_buggy'>

When the bug kicks in, this field will be damaged in the request body, but
as it isn't used, no harm is done.

Regards,
Robert Andersson