httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jim Harriman" <jharri...@ecology.coa.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache denies access to non-document-root directories
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:48:30 GMT
> I always thought that the target dir
>(other end of the link) still has to be "Allowed" - i.e. you need:
>
><Directory /home/jim/pics>
>	Allow from all
>	...etc.

I added some directives that set "Allowed" on /home/jim/pics, but that doesn't do anything.
 And the directory containing the symlink (/var/www/html) already has a directive to allow
all access to it.  The reason I want to use the symlinks is because I'm putting my personal
picture directory online.  I want to leave it where it is, so that it comes up by default
in dialog boxes, but I want to get to it from the internet  as well.  I've already tried putting
the files in an actual directory under /var/www/html, and then symlinking to that from my
home directory, but the server won't even allow access that way.  If I have to, I can try
to reinstall a newer version of apache, but I have a feeling that this problem might be related
to the way my distribution (Mandrake 9.0) sets up the directories.

>>> warp-9.9@usa.net 10/29/03 10:06PM >>>
Check http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#options for
SymLinksIfOwnerMatch.  Maybe the owner of the symbolic links under
/var/www/html don't match the real files in /home/jim/pics ?  This is a bit
convoluted setup.  Why not just have all images either in a real directory
/var/www/html/pics or /home/jim/public_html/pics .

Leif