httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jim Harriman" <jharri...@ecology.coa.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache denies access to non-document-root directories
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:12:37 GMT
This might seem like a newbie question, but please hear me out.  I have a DSL connection with
a static IP, and am running Apache (on Mandrake 9.0) from my computer to host my website.
 The index page is in /var/www/html, and when I connect to my IP, the website comes up just
fine.  But the problem is that all the pictures are in a symlinked directory, e.g., /var/www/html/pics
-> /home/jim/pics.  Whenever I try to reference a picture in /home/jim/pics, it's broken
on the website; when I link to the directory itself, a "403 Forbidden" error comes up, and
in both cases, the error_log outputs the message:

[Tue Oct 28 22:22:40 2003] [error] [client 142.167.xx.yyy] Symbolic link not allowed: /var/www/html/pics,
referer: http://142.167.xx.yyy/

But the weird thing is that I specifically put directives in httpd.conf that allow symlinking
and indexing in those directories. The lines I added:

<Directory /var/www/html/pics>
Options FollowSymLinks -Indexes MultiViews SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
AllowOverride All
<IfModule mod_access.c>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</IfModule>
</Directory>

There's another directive that's identical except that /var/www/html/pics is replaced with
/home/jim/pics.  Write access is prohibited for non-users in both those directories, but otherwise
they're completely accessible.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, any help would be appreciated.

__

Jim Harriman
College of the Atlantic
105 Eden Street