httpd-users mailing list archives

From Larry McFarlane <LMcFarl...@tconl.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache can't be seen from Internet
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:32:43 GMT
You'll have to make sure your isp allows connection to port 80 from the
outside world.  For example, I'm with Qwest (Telechoice Online for the
folks here in Omaha) and they do not allow access to port 80.
Specifically, they don't allow access to anything from the internet under
port 1500.  Therefore, you will have to see if they have a package ($$$$$)
that allows port 80 (and 443 for ssl access).  If not, you'll have to have
your apache port "listen" to a port that your isp allows.

To make it more of a headache...If you use DHCP, you'll have to determine
if the IP address of your machine changes and a what duration.  Cox does
DHCP but only changes your IP address if you havn't been logged on for an
x amount of days.

Telechoice online (Here in Omaha) is very flexible and provides a somewhat
cheap package to allow the Internet to your PC.  Cox, on the otherhand, is
not flexible.  I must point out that Telechoice restricts your
"professional" inbound traffic to 256k on port 80.  I know these ISPs most
likely don't match yours, but I'm painting a picture here so you can be
aware of the many circumstances that can cause your problem.