httpd-users mailing list archives

From Larry Coffin <lcof...@PointInfinity.com>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_disk_cache cleanup?
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:38:32 GMT
	Is anyone out there using mod_disk_cache? What do you do for
cleaning up/managing the cache? This is for Apache 2.0.47 (the most recent
official release).

	The documentation isn't too clear about that issue -- from the
DiskSize directive it sounds like *something* should be cleaning up the
disk cache and bringing it back down to the limit set. But I've been using
it for a few days now and haven't seen anything like that unless I don't
have it configured correctly.

	The rest of the documentation makes it sound like there is no
built-in garbage collection at all but it doesn't mention what other people
(i.e. the developers!) do instead.

	I've searched all the places I could think of to find any mention
of this and I've looked through the code a bit but haven't seen any
specific mention of what people are doing. Before I spend the time to dig
further into the code, I thought I'd post here and see what other people
are doing.

	I know the documentation states that all the Gc related directives
are not implemented, but is there some default Gc underneath that should be
going on? And if so, how do I turn it on or figure out how it works?

	If there really isn't *any* Gc going on, what are you doing to
manage your cache? Can you have another process go through and delete old
files outside of Apache without messing the internal cache information up
(i.e. if you delete files from the cache, will Apache still think they are
there and get "confused")?

	Thanks!

	---Larry

| Larry Coffin, G.P.H.                                     Watertown, MA |
| http://www.PointInfinity.com/lcoffin/        lcoffin@PointInfinity.com |
| http://www.whosmytwin.com                    Find your long lost twin! |

Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.

-