httpd-users mailing list archives

From Peter Fleck <fleck...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2 SSL Problem
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:29:25 GMT
>Just to elaborate, here's some basic steps to follow to make a self-signed
>certificate for testing purposes only:
>
>1) mkdir ssl; chown root.root ssl; chmod 700 ssl; cd ssl

OK! I built a new certificate following Leif's excellent instructions
but still get the same warning in the ssl_error_log:

[warn] RSA server certificate is a CA certificate (BasicConstraints:
CA == TRUE !?)

and I still can't get a browser to even connect with https. So it
must be a configuration problem.

Here's the info from the original email about my setup.

SSL is working and the server is listening on port 443. I've
confirmed this with the curl tool and with netstat. The curl tool
actually returns my index page.

curl also generates log entries in "ssl_access_log" and "ssl_request_log."

But if I try to access the server with a browser, using an "https"
url, the connection is refused and nothing is logged.

Here's a brief summary of my setup. The port 80 sites are serving
with no problem.

Main/default ServerName designation is www.cancer.umn.edu. This is
also listed as ServerName for one of the virtual sites. AND it's the
ServerName for the secure virtual site. Could this cause a problem.

I do have "NameVirtualHost 160.94.109.179:80" and then list the
Virtual sites using IPs and ports as suggested on this list. So two
VirtualHosts are 160.94.109.179:80 with two different ServerNames and
the third is 160.94.109.179:443 with the 'www.cancer.umn.edu'
ServerName specified.

--
Peter Fleck
Webmaster | University of Minnesota Cancer Center