httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Avoid logging errors successfully handled by ErrorDocument
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:04:58 GMT

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Robert Andersson wrote:
> I'm using a system where images in a special directory are automatically
> created when first requested. I do this by setting ErrorDocument 404 to
> script that creates the image and deliver it with a 200 status code.
>
> However, these requests still results in a line in the error log, which is
> annoying (it grows as fast as the access log). In the access log, they will
> have a 200 status code. I've been thinking about it, as well as searched
> around but been unable to come up with how to avoid these request being
> logged. A

The contents of the error log are not configurable (except via the
LogLevel directive).  One possible solution would be to use mod_rewrite
rather than an ErrorDocument.  See, for example, "Search pages in more
than one directory":
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html
which does something similar.

> On a related note, is there any way to "pass back" an error, eg. File Not
> Found, to Apache from a dynamic ErrorDocument? This would be useful when
> using an ErrorDocument in order to try to fix the error, and when unable to,
> let Apache deal with it as the ErrorDocument didn't exist. Could this be
> achieved in some way?

Not that I know of.

Joshua.