httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Proxypass not logging remote_user in access.log
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:52:53 GMT

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Jason Grigsby wrote:

> I generally hate resending emails to lists, but I'm still struggling
> with the problem I described below and there were no responses to my
> last email. I thought I'd give it one last try to see if someone had
> any insight into this problem before moving onto other issues. Thanks
> in advance for any help you can give.

I see no problem resending if you get no response after a few days.  The
traffic on this list is high enough that I'm sure many of us don't read
every message.  (Well, I'm sure I don't.)

> >     ProxyPass / http://www.example.org/
> >     ProxyPassReverse / http://www.example.org/

> > Where http://www.example.org/ is a password protected web site.

Where does the password authentication occur?  At www.example.com (the
origin server) or at the reverse proxy?

> > access this page, I see the following log entries:
> >
> > 12.224.173.56 - - [23/Oct/2003:16:44:22 -0700] "GET /members/
> > HTTP/1.1" 401 8051
> > 12.224.173.56 - - [23/Oct/2003:16:44:30 -0700] "GET /members/
> > HTTP/1.1" 200 30954

> > Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get the username (REMOTE_USER)
> > recorded in the log files when you use proxypass?

Apache won't record the basic auth userid unless it is doing the
authentication itself.  So if it is the origin server doing the auth, you
need to log that info there.

You could try logging the "Authenticate" HTTP request header, using the
appropriate LogFormat string.  But then you'd need to parse that to get
the userid and password (and un-base64-encode it as well).

Joshua.