httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Responses without headers
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:34:01 GMT

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Roger Lipscombe wrote:

> Luis Gallegos wrote:
> > Thanks Joshua, I need that apache does not send headers
> > because the clients (not http) I will use were written to ask
> > a tcp server and use a raw response.  I want to use apache as
> > a kind of transactional server.... I sent "POST %s
> > HTTP/0.9\nContent-type:

HTTP/0.9 is defined by the absence of any version string.  What you sent
is just a bad request.  I don't believe that HTTP/0.9 included anything
other than GET anyway.  See:
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/AsImplemented.html

> > application/x-www-form-urlencoded\nContent-length: %d\n\n"..
> > to the server, but the headers are still from the server. Am
> > I making any mistake?
> Sounds to me like what you actually need is a way to run simple stdin/stdout
> applications as network services.  It doesn't sound like you need Apache for
> this.  For this, you can use Dan Bernstein's tcpserver program -- see
> http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html for more details.

I agree.  An HTTP server must use HTTP.  In addition to Roger's idea, you
could also consider writing a custom module to impliment the non-HTTP
protocol that you want.  See mod_echo and mod_pop3 as examples of how to
impliment non-HTTP protocols in apache.

Of course, another idea would just be to change your clients to use
HTTP.

Joshua.