httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] best params for hi-volume website
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2003 01:23:08 GMT

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, ToFu wrote:

> I'm new to thist list, so hi everyone.
>
> I'm running quite a bit of traffic for a site.  Just got a used box, and
> installed Apache 2.047.  I'm trying to figure out the ideal configs to max
> this thing out.  Here are details of what I'm doing:
>
>  - content = images (6k - 100k/each) + video (~1.3mg/each) -- 20%/80%
> respectively.
>  - static http traffic only (i.e. no programming underneath).
>  - approximately 75k - 100k unique visitors/day
>  - 600k - 1.5million hits/day
>  - 25gb - 40gb/day
>
> My question is, what is the ideal configuration for httpd.conf -- regards to
> max threads, wait time, etc.  Does anyone have an opinion on this one?
>
> Machine Specifics:
> OS    Debian/Linux (2.42 kernel)
> CPU    dual PIII 677mhz
> RAM    512mb
> Disk    2 x 18g (SCSI RAID 1)

First thing to do is to figure out which mpm you are using.  Most likely
you are using prefork, in which case you should consider switching to
worker.

Next is to carefully read:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html

Also see the docs for mod_status, which can help you monitor performance.

Other than that, it is mostly basic stuff like making sure you have only
the modules you need, and making sure MaxClients is set as high as
possible without causing any swapping.

Joshua.