httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] IP Based VHosting vs. Name Based VHosting
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:22:49 GMT

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Aaron Morris wrote:
> The only reason I mentioned file-descriptors is with IP based vhosting
> you are listening on multiple ports, each port you listen to is an
> additional open file-descriptor (I know, this means very little in the
> long run).

True.  I forgot about that.

> I remember reading somewhere on the internet (first clue of bogus info)
> that with IP based vhosting you have the possibility of one of the
> vhosts hogging processes, ie one vhost having more child
> processes/threads being dedicated to it than other vhosts.  I realize
> that one vhost could possibly use up all free processes and not leave
> any over for other vhosts, but I just wanted to make sure that there are
> no special considerations for IP based vhosting.

The only thing I can think of is that, when you listen on more than one
port, the "accept locking" works differently.  See "Accept Serialization":
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html#compiletime

Other than that, IP based virtual hosting can make it easier to deal with
denial of service attacks, since you can isolate the requests by IP at the
OS or router level.

Joshua.