httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] IP Based VHosting vs. Name Based VHosting
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:12:55 GMT

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Aaron Morris wrote:

> Can anyone out there point me to some documentation or performance
> comparisons on IP vs NB virtual hosting.  I have not had much luck
> finding any information on this.
>
> I would like to go a bit deeper than just looking at the number of open
> file descriptors and look at what happens under heavy loads.

There is VERY little difference.  To the client, it looks exactly the
same.  For apache, IP based virtual hosting may be just a tiny bit
quicker, because there is a hash-table lookup rather than a linear lookup
(this may have changed in 2.0, I'm not sure), but the difference is
probably undetectable for any reasonable number of vhosts.

I'm not sure why you even mention file descriptors, since there shouldn't
be any difference there between IP and name based virtual hosts.

The only real differences I know of are the ones listed here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/name-based.html

Joshua.