httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Content negotiation, caching and Internet Explorer
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:02:18 GMT

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Robert Andersson wrote:

> Robert Andersson wrote:
> > everywhere I use MultiViews, I want "normal" caching to occur.
> > I very much doubt that Apache is at fault here, but I'm interested if
> > someone can suggest a server-side workaround that will cause Internet
> > Explorer to cache the resource. When looking in the cache, the
> > content-negotiated resources are not there.

Tricky problem.  I believe it is mostly MSIE at fault here.  It seems to
take almost any Vary: header as a signal to give up on caching, whereas it
should be actually checking the Vary conditions.

Of course, it would be nice if Apache would recognise the case of
Multiviews with only one matching file as a special case where no
negotiation occurs, and therefore no Vary header is necessary.  You could
file that as an enhancement bug report if you'd like.

But I believe there is a workaround:
SetEnv force-no-vary
for the relevant pages.  Assuming you aren't actually doing any
negotiation or other browser-dependent stuff, this should be relatively
safe.

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/env.html#special

Joshua.