httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Holton <hol...@mbi.ucla.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] separate htaccess
Date Sat, 25 Oct 2003 00:06:46 GMT

Hey great! Thanks for the info. I need to follow up some.

> Drop the <IfModule> and </IfModule> lines.  They just hide useful error
> messages.
So I just put
UserDir HTML
in the conf file. this is easy.

> > Then, I have the following:
> >
> >     <Directory /path/users/~user/HTML/Protected/>
>
> Can you "cd /path/users/~user/HTML/Protected"?  I doubt it.  I'd guess you
> need to drop the "~".

No, I can't cd there, but all html pages can be accessed right now using
this kind of URL. Wouldn't that break if I took the ~ out?

> What gave you the impression you need the <Limit GET POST> and </Limit>
> lines?  They are dangerous and should be ommitted.  See the docs for the
> <Limit> directive to find out why.

Yes, I thought the <LIMIT> was necessary, just because it was present in
all .htaccess files I have that work.

> Also, you know that you don't need to use .htaccess files if you have
> access to the httpd.conf, right?  Any directive that can be placed in
> .htaccess can also be placed inside a <Directory> section in httpd.conf.

This I don't understand. What does it mean to "have access to the
httpd.conf" ? I mean, I have .htaccess files that do work inside the
directory area where the server runs. They just don't work if they are on
a computer that is being mounted by the server. Does that make sense?

Thanks alot for your help.
-tom