httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Holton <hol...@mbi.ucla.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] separate htaccess
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:21:59 GMT

I have tried everything I know and cannot get a directory to respond to
.htaccess.

In the httpd.conf I have the following:

<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
    UserDir HTML
</IfModule>

to find ~user, which works fine

Now, the ~user directories are on different computers which are mounted
on the webserver where apache is running

Then, I have the following:

    <Directory /path/users/~user/HTML/Protected/>
       Order Deny,Allow
       Deny from all
       AllowOverride All
    </Directory>

and I have a .htaccess file in this directory:

AuthUserFile /path/users/user/HTML/Protected/.htpasswd
AuthName "Admin"
AuthType Basic
<Limit GET POST>
require user allowuser
</Limit>

I know that the <Directory tag there is being read because I can give
access to the world by having
Allow from all
in there and make it forbidden with
Deny from all

but what I want is for it to be password protected with the .htaccess
file.

Why is this file being ignored?

also, I have .htaccess files in the webserver space which is local, and
these "see" the .htaccess files and respond.

Thanks for any help or ideas!

-tom