httpd-users mailing list archives

From carlo.montan...@t-systems.it
Subject [users@httpd] 256 file descriptor max?
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:31:34 GMT
Sorry if this is a faq, I can't find a *satisfactory* answer elsewhere.
I have an Apache 1.3.19 on Solaris 9 OS; inside it there is a little buggy
application, which opens - and keeps open - many sockets.
When the count of file descriptors in a httpd process gets to 256, Apache
gives up serving files and it prints an error: "(24)Too many open files:
file permissions deny server access: myfile" in the error log.
I have no control on the application wasting descriptors, so my only option
is trying to increase the max limit to a manageable value; but even if I
change the OS limit of file descriptors with "ulimit -n 1024" and restart
Apache, it keeps stopping at 256.
Having read http://access1.sun.com/technotes/01406.html, I think it should
be a standard I/O library limit, due to the use, by Apache, of the fopen()
routine, which is inherently limited to 256 fd.
My question is: is there anybody out there with my same need? Are these 256
descriptors enough for everybody?
Or it does exist a workaround?

TIA

Carlo