httpd-users mailing list archives

From "David Molloy" <mollo...@eeng.dcu.ie>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] LDAP/htpasswd dual Authentication Quickie
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:00:00 GMT
Hi,
   Also to close this post off - no responses on this one either which is
fair enough since it *appears* to have been another Apache 2 module bug.  I
uninstalled Apache 2 and went back to Apache1.3.28 + rudedog mod_auth_ldap
and everything works fine using the exact same .htaccess files.  I'm writing
it off as a bug as I don't have time to look into it any more.

Regards,
David Molloy

-----Original Message-----
From: David Molloy [mailto:molloyda@eeng.dcu.ie]
Sent: 26 September 2003 16:21
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] LDAP/htpasswd dual Authentication Quickie

Hi,
   I've done this before (with a different mod_auth_ldap and apache1.3.24)
so am puzzled now I'm on Apache2.0.47.  Basically, I can use a .htaccess
file to authenticate on an LDAP server *OR* a .htpasswd local file *BUT NOT
BOTH*.  Now the docs say that you can do this by setting
AuthLDAPAuthoritative off, which I have done.  But no luck at all!  I have
attached the config file and log outputs below.
Please please please help me - I'm going nuts.

Dave

Note: All users except admin should be authenticated via the LDAP
directory - I need to do admin locally for numerous reasons)  Also this
happened when I used the muquit module or the built in one with 2.0.47 - I'm
not sure if they are the same but they appear to have different directives.
Could there be something in my httpd.conf file preventing this from working?

----- .htaccess file -------

AuthName "Online Module Resources"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /user/staff/spinner/password/.onlinepasswd
AuthLDAPURL ldap://nds.dcu.ie/o=dcu?cn
AuthLDAPAuthoritative off

require user admin molloyda ssdguest fedors2 brownea5 condros3 feerick2
griffig2
 kerrd4 keanep4 omurchr2 tiernap2 brislam2

----- Results -------
As admin and htpasswd password I can get in.
As molloyda I get in error_log
[Fri Sep 26 16:15:04 2003] [error] [client 136.206.35.61] user molloyda not
found: /~ee557/notes/ch03.html

If I modify the .htaccess file and comment out the 'AuthUserFile' line.
As molloyda I get in succesfully via the LDAP server
As admin it predictably fails with the following, since I removed the
AuthUserFile declaration:
[Fri Sep 26 16:17:41 2003] [warn] [client 136.206.35.61] [13308] auth_ldap
authenticate: user admin authentication failed; URI /~ee557/notes/ [User not
found][No such object]
[Fri Sep 26 16:17:41 2003] [crit] [client 136.206.35.61] configuration
error:  couldn't check user.  No user file?: /~ee557/notes/