httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache tuning for high performance
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:56:49 GMT

What kind of number is this? They didn't have mubers like this when I
was at school...

>This page will be serving a cookie and small html
>text.Most hits will come on Monday and Friday during day time.
>So if I have 5000 hits in a minute, will this configuration able to
>handle that ?

The important directive is "MaxClients 150" - assume this is reached,
then each daemon must handle 5000/150 = 33.33.. hits per minute, hence
has about 2 seconds to answer the request. Does the JSP take longer than
that to return?

BTW, if it's a JSP, it's not really apache which is doing the work, it
is the Java Engine (Tomcat?) that is actually executing the JSP. Apache
is merely passing on the request to the Java backend and then returning
the output.

The other calculation you need to look at is the size of the apache
footprint in memory (see "top") multiplied by MaxClients - this must be
less than your total memory. 512 MB doesn't seem very much for a heavily
loaded server...

I don't think keep-alive matters much; that's just to allow multiple
requests in the same HTTP "session".

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>I need to understand whether my apache is capable of taking this load.
>
>What effect I will have if I made keepAlive=OFF and Timeout=50 Seconds.
>
>Please suggest me how do I evaluate my server based on this
>requirement.
>
>Sincerely,
>Rich

views of the sender's company.