httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Windows User Id
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:39:50 GMT

The server doesn't make any queries, it's the client that makes the requests and the server
that provides the responses.

Are you talking about HTTP authentication? This is when you get a password challenge pop-up
window in the client (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/auth.html#basic) then you get the
"username" - but it's the username from the AuthUserFile (i.e. generated by htpasswd) and
not necessarily the same as the username on the client computer.

If you're not talking about that, and you have control over the browsers, then you might be
able to add a header to the request containing the client username. No idea how you do this
with IE, but you could do it with an OSS browser, I guess...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle