httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Error running httpd
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:14:19 GMT

This is the 5th thread you have started on the same subject! Would you
mind keeping further postings on this one thread, please... It will help
the archives and reduce the proliferation of parallel discussions.

To try to round-up your various questions:

1) You can run as many instances of apache as you like - apache is only
a program after all. To run two apaches, you don't need to have two
installations , you just start the same httpd process twice with a
different httpd.conf each time, e.g.

/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -f /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd_1.conf
/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -f /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd_2.conf

Note that this implies that you MUST use the "-f" switch to define the
config. You can't use the compiled-in config since that would point to
the same config file each time.

The reason you need two configs is that no two instances of apache can
listen to the same TCP/IP socket. So you have to have a different
"Listen IP-addr" directive in each config. e.g.

httpd_1.conf contains "Listen 192.168.10.7"
httpd_2.conf contains "Listen 192.168.15.2"

Note that you MUST have a "Listen IP-addr" directive in your config or
apache will try to listen to all active IPs. That means that the two
apaches would collide when they try to listen to the same IPs.

>When i start httpd ,it runs fine but when i run httpd2 i get a error
>Starting httpd2: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could
>not bind to
>address 0.0.0.0:443 no listening sockets available, shutting down

This is the collision I'm talking about... Probably you have a "Port
443" or "Listen 443" directive (without an IP) in both configs so apache
is trying to listen to port 443 on all IPs.

2) I am assuming you have a compelling reason for wanting to run two
apaches... As many others have pointed out, one apache can listen to any
number of IPs and, even if you have only one IP, you can have many
websites using name-based VHs. However, sometimes it is convenient to
have many apaches - ours not to reason why.

3) You occasionally mentioned the dreaded number "443" - this implies
you want to use SSL somewhere. The thing to watch here is that SSL is
special; you can't run name based VHs under SSL (see archives for
why...) You can still have many SSL VHs one one apache instance if they
use separate IPs or separate ports (e.g.

	192.168.10.7:443 and 192.168.15.2:443

	or

	192.168.10.7:443 and 192.168.10.7:8443

	or even

	192.168.10.7:443 and 192.168.15.2:8443

	though this would be silly...

Finally, despite your five different threads, I'm still not at all clear
what you are trying to achieve. Perhaps if you explained exactly what
you want to do and why, it would be easier to come up with a solution
for you?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>can anybody help me.