httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] SSL on Virtual Hosts
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:28:01 GMT

Yes it will. Interestingly, the reason it works at all is due only to
the fortuitous behaviour of apache when faced with a request without a
Host header...

To explain, if you have (unwittingly) set up several name-based SSL VHs
then when you request an arbitrary site, the HTTPS request will arrive
with an encrypted Host header. Apache will therefore default to its
"what-to-do-if-no-Host" behaviour and will go to the FIRST VH in the
config to find a cert. It will therefore use the cert from the 1st VH to
set up the SSL session. This will usually cause a warning such as you
describe. If you accept the warning and continue, an SSL session will be
established and thereafter, apache will be able to read the Host headers
so, oddly enough, the correct website will then be served.

This accidental behaviour sometimes leads people to believe they have
"solved" the problem of SSL NBVH but, although they have ensured
encryption and are seeing the right website, they have not ensured
authentication (as your warning demonstrates).

Encryption is like sending your money to the bank in an armoured car.
Authentication is making sure the car really does go to the bank...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:26:33 -0800, Roger B.A. Klorese
><rogerk@queernet.org> wrote:
>
>>> I thought that with namebased virtual hosting that all this could be
>>> accomplished via one ip?
>>
>> The encryption is established before the Host: header is
>passed in order
>> tell the web server which name-based virtual host you want.
>>
>> If you use SSL with name-based virtual hosts, the same cert and name
>> will be
>> used for all hosts on that IP address.

>--
>Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/