httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache can't be seen from Internet
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:38:55 GMT

Just to confirm - you state you have a static IP address from your ISP.
So this must be a real-world IP (e.g. w.x.y.z) and must be bound to
whatever gadget you use to connect to your IP (dial-up modem, ADSL,
etc.) You also state that you have LAN. So you must have at least on
ethernet card in your server with a local IP address assigned to it
(e.g. 192.168.1.1)

If you're using the default config, then apache is listening to all
active IP addresses on port 80. This means apache is listening to
w.x.y.z and 192.168.1.1 and (for completeness) 127.0.0.1.

There are a couple of possible explanations for your problem:

- Your ISP is blocking port 80 (many ISPs don't allow you to run a
server).
- You have a firewall on the server which is blocking port 80
- Apache is really not listening to w.x.y.z (then there's a problem in
your config).

To decide which it is, here are some things to check:

- to test apache is listening on w.x.y.z, try http://w.x.y.z/ from a
browser running on the apache server (it should route the request via
its own interface). If this works, the problem is external to the
server.

To check out the route in from the internet:
- When you try http://w.x.y.z/ from the internet, do you see anything in
the apache access or error logs?
- What sort of error do you get in the browser (the real error - not the
IE default, please...)
- Can you "ping w.x.y.z" from the internet?
- Can you send mail to w.x.y.z from the internet?
- Can you "telnet w.x.y.z 80" from the internet?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>Please
>help me!!!  Thanks!
>-Michael Sullivan-
>
>=====
>Gantu:  "You're vile!  You're foul!  You're FLAWED!"
>Stitch:  "Also cute and fluffy!!!!
>
>"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be
>loved in return..."
>"Parsley, sage, rosemarry and thyme..."

>Exclusive Video Premiere - Britney Spears
>http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/

views of the sender's company.