httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject [users@httpd] RE: No Page Display
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:24:26 GMT

0th point:
----------
The only address which responds is www.fsi1.net. From its homepage, it
appears to be "Running version Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.23
(Mandrake Linux/4mdk) mod_ssl/2.8.7 OpenSSL/0.9.6c PHP/4.1.2". So it's a
Linux machine. However, your config file has paths like: "C:/Program
Files/www/fsi1.net" which look awfully windowsy to me. So what's going
on? Is your server a windows or a Linux machine?

1st Point:
----------
I suspect you have a misconfiguration in DNS. When I do a dns lookup of
the Servernames in your config I get:

www.fsi1.net -> 68.88.176.181
www.newboardtmbc.org -> 68.88.178.181
www.tabernaclebc.us -> 68.88.178.181

When I try these URLs, only 68.88.176.181 has a server behind it. The
other IP address (68.88.178.181) does not respond on port 80, indicating
it has no HTTP service.

Do you really have two IP addresses? If so, apache is not listening to
the 68.88.178.181. Since you don't have any specific "Listen"
directives, apache will listen to all active IPs so that means that your
machine is not listening to 68.88.178.181 (i.e. apache will only listen
by default to IPs which your machine is already listening to at a TCP/IP
level. Your network card is not listening to 68.88.178.181 so apache
can't either.) To fix this case, you'd have to add 68.88.178.181 to your
machine's list of active addresses. Do "man ifconfig" for details -
"ifconfig -a" will get you started... (for windows, do "ipconfig" from a
DOS prompt).

However, I suspect that you really intend to have only one IP on your
machine (that's what most people would do) and that someone has screwed
up the DNS tables - check with your service provider that what you
ordered is what you got... If you had all your domains pointing to the
same IP (68.88.176.181) then your config would work fine.

2nd Point:
----------
You mentioned that you wanted to test the domains from localhost. At the
moment, your config doesn't allow this. Apache is listening to 127.0.0.1
but you do not have any hostnames associated with this. This means that
if you hit the server with "localhost", apache will serve up the FIRST
VH it finds - which is www.newboardtmbc.org.

To get it working for local requests, you need to do two things:

1) assign additional hostnames to 127.0.0.1 so that, for example,
fsi1_net, newboardtmbc and tabernaclebc all resolve to 127.0.0.1. You do
this by editing /etc/hosts or C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\Hosts.

2) Add these new hostnames to the config as ServerAliases so that apache
can match them, e.g.

<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName www.tabernaclebc.us
  ServerAlias tabernaclebc