httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <d...@hawk-systems.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Two http instances
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 01:39:07 GMT
>> OK.. I am a little confused then.  I was under the impression that you
>> can have more then one web site on the same server?  With what you
>> said, it would mean that if you had two sites, only one could be on
>> port 80.  Any others would need to be on 8080, 8088, etc.
>
>Read the section "Name based virtual hosts" in the apache.org docs.
>You do not want to run more than one copy of Apache.  It is possible to
>run hundreds or thousands of different web sites from a single copy of
>Apache and a single IP address.

the only reason I have ever had to run two instances of apache on the same
server, was to run one as a the public web server, and the other as a privileged
user, where we wanted to (for obvious reasons) separate the environment for the
privileged apache process.

since then we have replaced the requirements for that and have discontinued its
use.

however another instance where you may wish to run multiple instances of apache,
is to provide users with their own apache httpd, and let them hack apart their
own apache conf file without running the risk of them bringing down other
virtually hosted servers.

there are no other reasons, and the response above is correct, the only time you
even need to change the port or IP is when you want multiple SSL certificates,
otherwise you just need to read the man referenced above.

Dave