httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jason Grigsby <jason+apa...@userfirstweb.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Proxypass not logging remote_user in access.log
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:09:07 GMT
On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 04:52  PM, Joshua Slive wrote:
>>>     ProxyPass / http://www.example.org/
>>>     ProxyPassReverse / http://www.example.org/
>
>>> Where http://www.example.org/ is a password protected web site.
>
> Where does the password authentication occur?  At www.example.com (the
> origin server) or at the reverse proxy?

The authentication occurs at the origin server.

>>> access this page, I see the following log entries:
>>>
>>> 12.224.173.56 - - [23/Oct/2003:16:44:22 -0700] "GET /members/
>>> HTTP/1.1" 401 8051
>>> 12.224.173.56 - - [23/Oct/2003:16:44:30 -0700] "GET /members/
>>> HTTP/1.1" 200 30954
>
>>> Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get the username
>>> (REMOTE_USER)
>>> recorded in the log files when you use proxypass?
>
> Apache won't record the basic auth userid unless it is doing the
> authentication itself.  So if it is the origin server doing the auth,
> you
> need to log that info there.

This is very useful information. I wanted confirmation that it wasn't
going to record that information so I could stop searching for an
explanation of why it was working. :-)

> You could try logging the "Authenticate" HTTP request header, using the
> appropriate LogFormat string.  But then you'd need to parse that to get
> the userid and password (and un-base64-encode it as well).

That is an interesting idea. I'll take a look at this and see if I can
come up with a way to handle it in this manner. We actually do some
post processing of our log files already so this might not be out of
the realm of possibility.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it very much.

Thank You,

Jason