httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeremy D. Weiss" <jdwe...@chanweiss.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] new access_log messages
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 17:00:15 GMT
At 12:42 PM 10/02/2003, you wrote:
>Thanks for the info! Is there anything I can do to prevent this kind of
>traffic? Or is this just a "fact of Internet life"? I keep up to date with
>all patches and security updates from RedHat, I've tried to secure the
>server as much as possible, are there other things I should do? Is there
>some AV software for Linux/Unix that would help me in this situation?
>Suggestions?

well, which kind of traffic are you referring to?  You had both robots and
attempted-IIS attacks in there.  The robot traffic is benign (and, in fact,
some would argue actually _useful_).  The IIS attacks however? well, there
are modules and scripts that can try to filter it out (look through the
mailing list archives for either "iis" or "code red" or "nimda").  Rest
assured, none of these attacks are worth a darn, against an apache
server...they're just a nuisance.

==Jeremy