httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael" <m...@michael.lai.name>
Subject [users@httpd] big5 charset not displayed automatically
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:32:16 GMT
Hi.  I am running apache 2.0.47 on redhat 9.  In my website, I have a
page with chinese characters.  The page contains the meta tag:

which is suppose to instruct the client to automatically use big5
encoding but the characters still come out funny.  I have to manually
go to View->Encoding and select Big5 to see characters properly.

So, I started to think that the problem probably lies with my
webserver and searching around the web, I found that others who
switched from apache 1.3 to apache 2.0 also has the same problem.  I
went to my httpd.conf and edited the AddDefaultCharset to:

AddDefaultCharset Big5

I restarted apache and the chinese text is displayed properly.  But now the
english characters in the english only webpages have lost the style of the
its font even though I have specified the charset to be "iso-8859-1" in the
meta tag.  Not sure how to describe it but the english characters comes out
bigger with sharper corners like it is written by a child.  If I re-edit
httpd.conf and change AddDefaultCharset back to "iso-8859-1" then the
English characters retain the smoothness of its font style but again the
chinese characters doesn't show without manually selecting the proper
encoding in the browser.

Is there a way to show both english and chinese characters without losing
the english font style?

Thanks for any help in advance.