httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sam Gendler <sgend...@pdi.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ap_content_length_filter timeout problem
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:23:26 GMT
Joshua,

You seem to be the only one answernig any questions on the apache users
list, and I don't want to join the dev list just to post a bug report, so...

I just spent a couple of days tracking down a bug that manifested itself
as my CGI scripts stalling halfway through delivering a page.  They are
raw cgi scripts, no apache modules or anything special.  I eventually
tracked it down to the fact that I was importing a perl module that,
when instantitated, was spewing a bunch of informational garbage to
stderr.  Apparently, if you send to much content to stderr, it causes
apache to stop sending content to the client.  It was tricky to find, as
some requests would render correctly.  It turned out that running the
script on certain data sets created too much output, while others
didn't.  I didn't check the size of the stderr output, but I'd guess
that it was well in excess of 1024 bytes.  The bug manifested itself in
both 2.0.44 and 2.0.48, both on Red Hat Linux 7.2

At the least, a note should be added to the documentation, but ideally,
it would be great to get it fixed.

Here's a copy of my original post to the mailing list.  I include it
here mostly so that folks searching on the error message below will find
this response.

--sam

I've been able to find reasonably numerous instances of an (apparent)
bug that manifests itself with the following error message:

[Tue Oct 28 16:35:44 2003] [error] [client 10.11.3.53] (70007)The
timeout specified has expired: ap_content_length_filter:
apr_bucket_read() failed, referer: ...

It appears to occur when the compute time of a simple cgi execution is
'too' high.  However, the cgi script in question doesn't exactly take a
long time to process.  The nistances that hang when run through the
webserver take approx 2.5 clock seconds to execute when run from the
command line.  If the script takes less than 2 seconds to run,
everything appears to work just fine (I can't be sure about the maximum
allowable time limit).

I am not the only one to report this problem, but I've never seen a
single response to any queries about it that provided advice for curing
it.  I don't have the ability to rebuild the webserver (at least, not
without a lot of bureaucratic hassles) so I am hoping there is some way
to adjust the malignant timeout to give me a bit more time before it
barfs on my scripts.

Server version: Apache/2.0.44
Linux <xxx> 2.4.18-19.7.xsmp #1 SMP Thu Dec 12 07:56:58 EST 2002 i686
unknown
Script is written in Perl and uses the CGI module.  Nothing fancy beyond
that, not even mod_perl.

Anybody got a cure?

--sam