httpd-users mailing list archives

From Richard Gration <rich...@zync.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Linux FD limit
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:19:38 GMT
[apologies if anyone sees 2 post from me on this subject - my earlier
post seems to have been blackholed]

Wee Teck Neo wrote:
> A bit out of topic here, anyone knows how to permanently set a higher FD
> Limit instead of the standard 1024 in RedHat 9?
>
> Currently i'm setting a higher limit by setting a higher limit in
> /etc/security/limits.conf
>
> then issue a ulimit -n 8192
>
> But this setting is lost after i log off.
>

> Kernel : 2.4.22

As Leif W points out, the ulimit command needs to be in the httpd
startup script, /etc/init.d/httpd.

The crucial step is to increase the system limits with something like:

echo 16384 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

This is the actual line from my /etc/rc.local and it works for me ;-)

Rick

PS For the benefit of anyone googling this thread, the 2.4.x kernels
have no inode-max setting, but the 2.2.x kernels _do_ and it needs to be
raised accordingly, with a line like

echo 65536 > /proc/sys/fs/inode-max

Here, inode-max is 4 * file-max, a fair rule of thumb. YMMV