httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Virtual Host
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:48:40 GMT
Craig Daters wrote:

> I have scoured the web for information on setting up the virtual host part
> of Apache, and I have found lots of info, but nothing that shows me a clear
> cut example of what I am after. I am hoping that someone here may be able to
> help me. I am also posting this question to the User Support and Discussion
> list at Apache.org. We'll see what turns up.

You really should leave Apache running as the user and group that Redhat
has everything configured for.  The whole point is that this should be a
"nobody" account that can only read things that are publicly readable,
and have no access to anything else.  I think you're confusing the
meaning of the User and Group directives.  They specify under what
credentials the web server will run as.  Apache can only run as a single
user and group, it cannot change based on what request comes in.  So
there should only be a single User and Group directive, which applies to
everything.  If you specify it more than once, the last one counts.

It sounds like the problem you are having is just a simple permissions
problem.  You have to make sure that the public_html dir and all of its
contents are world-readable.  Usually this means 644 for files and 755
for directories.  There is no reason to go changing the user that Apache
runs as, just fix the permissions so that the files are visible by the
apache user.

Note that there is a special case for CGI scripts when suexec is
enabled.  In this case, the CGI scripts run as the owner of the file and
not as the apache user.  But it doesn't sound like you're doing CGI so
this probably is irrelevent.

You need to specify exactly what errors you're getting, as we can't help
you any more if all you can say is "There were errors."  We need error
log entries, or at least a description of what happens.

Brian