httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aaron Morris <aaronmor...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] IP Based VHosting vs. Name Based VHosting
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:20:43 GMT

Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Aaron Morris wrote:
>

>>Can anyone out there point me to some documentation or performance
>>comparisons on IP vs NB virtual hosting.  I have not had much luck
>>finding any information on this.
>>
>>I would like to go a bit deeper than just looking at the number of open
>>file descriptors and look at what happens under heavy loads.
>

> There is VERY little difference.  To the client, it looks exactly the
> same.  For apache, IP based virtual hosting may be just a tiny bit
> quicker, because there is a hash-table lookup rather than a linear lookup
> (this may have changed in 2.0, I'm not sure), but the difference is
> probably undetectable for any reasonable number of vhosts.
>
> I'm not sure why you even mention file descriptors, since there shouldn't
> be any difference there between IP and name based virtual hosts.
>
> The only real differences I know of are the ones listed here:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/name-based.html
>
> Joshua.

The only reason I mentioned file-descriptors is with IP based vhosting
you are listening on multiple ports, each port you listen to is an
additional open file-descriptor (I know, this means very little in the
long run).

I remember reading somewhere on the internet (first clue of bogus info)
that with IP based vhosting you have the possibility of one of the
vhosts hogging processes, ie one vhost having more child
processes/threads being dedicated to it than other vhosts.  I realize
that one vhost could possibly use up all free processes and not leave
any over for other vhosts, but I just wanted to make sure that there are
no special considerations for IP based vhosting.