httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bill Moran <wmo...@potentialtech.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache in big sites
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:37:42 GMT
Luis Gallegos wrote:
> Yes, I agree with you, but what I would like to know is if apache can
> scale on a server for example of 12 processors and 3Gb memory.

Yes.

> Will it support more incomming connections?

Apache will support as many connections as the operating system allows.

> Will it use all the
> processors?

If the OS is properly configured, Apache will use all available
processors

> the performance will grow a lot or not?

Again, OS dependent, but assuming a decent OS, yes.

> Have somebody tried
> apache on a machine like that?

Not on 12 CPUs, but on 4, and I'm sure many others have as well.

> I know there are lots of condicions to measure the performance of such a
> system, but I only want to have an idea of how would be the apache's
> behavior in a machine like that.

Long before you use all 12 processors, you're going to saturate your
network connection and/or your disk drives.  You'll probably do much
better purchasing expensive disks and/or multiple servers each with
a dedicated network connection.

Apache is not a CPU intensive process, I don't know for sure, but I
wouldn't be surprised if a single-processor machine is capable of
saturating a 100mb/s network connection with ease.  Disk speed,
network performance and RAM (for caching files from disk) is going
to be more important than CPU speed.

Do some google searches on +benchmark +apache to see what kind of
actual stats others have gotten.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies