httpd-users mailing list archives

From Peter Bissmire <pb...@onetel.net.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Browser access to Apache on W2k hangs.
Date Sun, 19 Oct 2003 07:31:40 GMT
Hi,

I have been running Apache on Windoze boxes for
a few years.

Can I suggest you first go back to square one.
Install your Apache with "dum" answers to any installer questions
and using your machine's basic name (DNS A entry).

You should then get the Apache default page.

Once this is working, you can tinker with config, one change at a time.
That way you narrow the field for your investigations
and can see which change breaks it.

One possible clue:- Have you got a DNS alias entry for "private"?
It looks like you have if you can ping it.
Have you tried asking your browser to get
http://192.163.0.1 or http://127.0.0.1?
With the default config, this should work without DNS.

You also need correct settings for DocumentRoot and
directory access settings. The default config. gives this to you
for Apache's default page.

Depending on the exact nature of a problem,
some browsers can hang on for several minutes before giving up.
If you go and have a coffee, you might find a message giving some clue.
At least you will then see whether the server has responded
or the browser has given up in desperation.

Hope that helps
Peter Bissmire